Harris Creek Baptist Church
Minutes of the Board of Elders
January 10, 2018
A regular meeting of the elders of Harris Creek Baptist Church was called to order January 10, 2018, at 6:30 a.m. Brad Lail, Chair, presided. A quorum was present. In attendance were Blair Browning, Brady Herbert, P. Michael Smith, Jim Underwood, Stacey Smith, Chris Holmes, and Kevin Jackson. Also in attendance was Joey White.
1. P. Michael Smith opened the meeting in prayer.
2. The elders reviewed and approved the minutes from the December 10th budget presentations at Sunwest and Downtown as well as the minutes from the December 13th regular meeting.
3. Brad Lail led the discussion on the selection of the leadership positions within the Elder Board. Effective the morning of January 10th, the elders appointed Jim Underwood as Chairman, Blair Browning and Vice-Chairman and Brad Lail as Secretary.
4. Joey White gave a brief overview of the December financials for the church and how the year wrapped up as the Our Turn campaign reached its completion. The response from “Big Give” Sunday (and the subsequent weeks in December) by the congregation was overwhelmingly positive. The movement by God through the congregation was a great encouragement as the new sanctuary works towards completion. Despite the natural attrition during the two-year campaign, new and non-pledged giving helped cover much of the gap in the current financial position for construction costs. The elders and staff are very satisfied with the influence of the Our Turn Campaign regarding how it led both to strong financial support and a deepening spiritual commitment to financial stewardship.
Communication of the financial results to the congregation will take place in January. The clear ongoing message is that any future budget surpluses received in 2018 will go directly to support the constructions costs and help erode the remaining financial gap before closing in the coming months.
5. Brady Herbert led a conversation on providing him clarity and elder protection on preaching expectations. The elders discussed the importance of ensuring the long-term success of the church and Brady by developing some guidelines for Brady’s preaching frequency. Included in this discussion are making Sunday preaching opportunities available to other interested staff as well as the frequency of guest preachers. With the spring preaching schedule already set, the board asked Brady to propose a preaching schedule for the fall and beyond with suggested boundaries.
6. Brady Herbert closed the meeting in prayer.